Apple has committed to carbon neutrality across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030. The company is already carbon neutral today for its corporate emissions worldwide. This newly unveiled commitment means that by 2030, every Apple device sold will have net-zero climate impact, according to the announcement.

According to Apple chief executive, Tim Cook, businesses have an opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, based on our shared concern for the planet.

“The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy-efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world.

“Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change,” Cook said.

In its 2020 Environmental Progress Report — released overnight — Apple detailed its plans to reduce emissions by 75 per cent within a decade while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 per cent of its comprehensive footprint. The company believes by providing detail on its approach to carbon neutrality it gives a roadmap to other companies looking to reduce their impact on climate change.

Apple’s Climate Roadmap

Apple’s said its 10-year roadmap aims to lower emissions with a series of actions, including expanding the company’s energy efficiency effort by identifying new ways to reduce energy use at its corporate facilities and help its supply chain make the same transition. The company said it would remain at 100 per cent renewable energy for its operations while pursuing a new focus on moving its entire supply chain to clean power.

Apple also reaffirmed its commitment to low carbon product design, saying it would continue to increase the use of low carbon and recycled materials in its products. The company’s latest product recycling initiative uses robots to disassembles the Taptic Engine from iPhones to recover critical materials such as rare earth magnets and tungsten while also enabling recovery of steel.

Carbon removal is another critical aspect of Apple’s climate roadmap as the company announced a first-of-its-kind carbon solutions fund to invest in the restoration and protection of forests and natural ecosystems globally. Partnering with Conservation International, Apple said it would invest in forests and other nature-based solutions around the world to remove carbon from the atmosphere, building on existing work like restoring degraded savannas in Kenya and a vital mangrove ecosystem in Colombia.

Additionally to support these efforts and beyond, Apple stated it is establishing an Impact Accelerator that will focus on investing in minority-owned businesses that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain and in communities that are disproportionately affected by environmental hazards.

Apple’s vice president for environment, policy and social initiatives, Lisa Jackson, said the company has a generational opportunity to help build a greener and more just economy.

“We’re proud of our environmental journey and the ambitious roadmap we have set for the future. Systemic racism and climate change are not separate issues, and they will not abide separate solutions,” Jackson said.

This accelerator is part of Apple’s recently announced $USD100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, focused on efforts that address education, economic equality, and criminal justice reform, according to the company.

LinkedIn
Previous post

Zoom Launches Zoom For Home

Next post

Security Complexity and Cyber Fatigue Major Challenges for Business: Cisco