When it comes to making sure marketing emails arrive in consumers’ inboxes, Australians perform above the global average.

Globally, 80 per cent of email is delivered to the inbox, while the remaining 20 per cent is diverted to spam folders or gets blocked altogether, according to 2017 Deliverability Benchmark Report  produced by email marketing company Return Path.

Australian and Canadian marketers tied as the top performing countries, with 90 per cent of emails reaching their intended destination.

Emails must make it past the gateway and spam filters to have a chance of being seen by consumers. Messages that are deemed malicious or untrustworthy are blocked at the gateway. For emails that make it past the gateway, spam filters look at the reputation of the sender, subscriber engagement, and content to decide if they should be placed in the inbox or the spam folder for each subscriber.

The report’s findings are relatively consistent with the company’s 2016 and 2015 benchmarks of 79 per cent deliverability rate globally.

Email marketers in the US saw the lowest inbox placement of any country analysed, with just 77 per cent of messages reaching subscribers—up from 73 per cent in 2016.

Looking at inbox placement by industry, the best results were found in sectors with strong account-based consumer relationships such as banking & finance (94 per cent), distribution & manufacturing (92 per cent), and travel (90 per cent).

“Email remains the most popular and effective channel available to marketers, so it’s more important than ever to get it right. If your emails aren’t reaching the inbox, you’re missing out on an opportunity to build relationships and generate ROI,” said Return Path President George Bilbrey.

“But email filtering continues to evolve, as mailbox providers apply increasingly sophisticated algorithms to deliver only the content their users truly want.”

Return Path conducted this study using a representative sample of more than 2 billion promotional email messages sent to consumers around the world between April 2016 and June 2017.

Previous post

Tencent outlines AI ambitions after 70 per cent profit increase

Next post

AWS launches ML Service to protect sensitive data stored in the cloud

Join the digital transformation discussion and sign up for the Which-50 Irregular Insights newsletter.